Wednesday, April 08, 2009

One L or two ?

Alright, this has been bothering me for a while now.
Why don't I just listen to my first inclinations
rather than be swayed and second guess my desires?

When I chose Lily's name, I wrote it out several times with many different middle name alternatives. In the end I love her name and am very happy with it (unlike Dakota who I desperately wanted to name Charlie -but that's another subject)
Well, I always wrote it out L-i-l-l-y (two middle Ls rather than one)
I changed it at the last minute to Lily
because that's how the flower is spelled.
According to the census it is divided about 50/50 in preference on how to spell it. I never feel irritated or anything when people misspell her name because one should not expect others to automatically know.
But, when I see it written out with 2 middle Ls
I know deep down I like it better!
I've been told that it doesn't matter and to just leave it.
Is it really so small an issue?
If it bugs me this much then why not simply change it now before it become harder to do so?
I guess I have decided to do this. So there it is.
I will bit by bit change all the silly forms and certificates that make her official

and her name will be
Lilly

9 comments:

sambrael said...

Personally, I agree - I like Lilly. One L (or rather, two, counting the first) just seems too short. And since she's probably going to have to spell her last name for people anyway, she'll be ok. Growing up, I was Kristina with a "K", Martinsen with an "s-e-n," and am now Ritzman like the cracker. Go with your gut. Can't go back on Dakota now, though. :)

Emily said...

Thanks
I know, Dakota loves to call himself
"kota-jack!" and is particularly fond of speaking in the third person so it is stuck for good.

Kadra K. said...

Hi! Do it. Names are important. I like "Lilly" better, too- "Lily" is already a unique, beautiful name and the "Lilly" spelling makes it even more so. (I'm an advocate for unique names, having grown up with one myself:) I am currently going through the paperwork hassle to make my name "Kadra Kirsten Walker Pixton" instead of "Kadra Kirsten Pixton" like I guess I told them when I filled out my marriage license, unknowingly, in my engaged bliss. Kadra Kirsten Walker is who I've been for 32 years, and besides, there is already a Kirsten Pixton, and although she's awesome, I am not her. There's my 2 cents. ;)

Pat & Donna said...

do it! and feel good about it.... I guess I have my story too, with my first born Nichole, not Nicole, or Nicki, not Nikki or Nicky.....

In the end she will embrace it and thank you for making it orginal

just like her being the one and only Miss LILLY Neaman!

Alison said...

I say definitely change it if it bothers you!

Esplendor Havanese said...

Lovely ! I like the reasoning behind it too, since she will have to spell Neaman out for people. I have an Aunt Named Lillias (which I think is very pretty ) but she changed it to Lillian(also pretty) because the kids used to tease her (putting an emphasis on the last two letters of her name) plus the Hispanics she married into called her Lillian anyway :)) I had to wait unitl I was an adult AND an American Citizen to restore my name to Mellisa (since my nick name only made it onto paper in Canada thanks to the drugs my mom was on post birth).
Going with your gut is always best :)

Leadbetter Farms said...

I agree with you Emily and I am so excited to see you guys next week

love ya
mom

Ty, Joanne, Elise and Hannah said...

Speaking as someone who ALWAYS has my name mispronounced and misspelled, I think its a great idea, I always spell Lilly with 2 l's anyways, and if you like the one L you can call her Lil for short! :)

Alisha Joy said...

Don't feel bad. . . Jed and I just changed River's name from : Dee River Knight to River Dee Knight. And I really wish we would have done it sooner cause now we had to change bank records, school records, delta skymiles records, passports . . . you get the picture. Smart to do it now if it bugs you.