Monday, January 19, 2009

The Name Game - It's crunch time

Last time around I posted our long list of name ideas and asked for people to vote their favs or send additional recommendations. The responses were hilarious (if not offensive) especially from my brother of course. (This is the edited down short list but my brother's comment is in reference to the long list which I probably should have left up because it makes his comment even funnier but you get the point- he ragged on everything)
This time however I felt like maybe I didn't want hear anyone's opinion and would simply choose something quietly. Then again, that's just not as fun is it. At least for others.
Now with only a week to go and daily pressure in my uterus increasing, the pressure is also intensifying to finally hunker down and pick a stinkin' name!
We have a list we've been going through and tried out several names for a week at a time; referring to her by that name out loud to see if it sticks. We have a couple runner's up so far but it seems to be even harder to match them up with a middle name.

So before I decide if I will post our list, I would like to know what you think.
Should I not do so at all?
Should I post our long or short list?
Do you have any cool suggestions that could get on the list?
Maybe a name we've never heard of? (since this time I actually haven't done that much looking around)
What about good sounding combos?
Are there any names I should definitely avoid? (and not just because you're saving it for yourself)
And if I do post my list, will you promise not to tease any of them?(Roderick?)

10 comments:

Esplendor Havanese said...

I think you should name her what you like best and then get suggestions for a middle name, you have a lot of creative folks in your life. If you do put her name in a buried list lottery style, get awful mail from people that make fun of your baby name (gulp) then the blame goes to us.
I had long thought you were naming her Nel (or Nelly). With a cool middle name you could use both like some people do with Mary Jo etc. You also use your surname in their or any other family name and go less traditional.
well, there is my 2:25am nugget.

In some countries, they call the baby BABY for an entire year until the personality develops. More than likely your favorite names will be in your mind when you name her at the hospital and you will say "Now, she really does look like a ______", and guess what, she will. Dakota looks like a Dakota, Duncan looks like a Duncan, you look like Emily, etc.
Also, the sound of a name often influences how people perceive a person. We talked about this the other day with some friends. Almost all Josh kids I know are annoying, as are jasons, Marks are perceived as spoiled as are Micheals. Johns are solid usually, and well, we know that Roderick's are brilliant but eccentric. :)))

If you post, we swear to be objective and if you like the name PINK for example, we will love her just as much as a girl named "whatever" . Afterall, she will be yours!

Emily said...

Nell? where did you ever get that idea? I've never mentioned it and it only make me think of the mean girl from little house on the prairie.
Thanks for the imput though. as you can tell from previous experience, i wasn't too influenced by people's opinions and chose what i wanted regardless of the comments.
This is just a game to me :)

Anonymous said...

That link was hilarious for boys names. Where's the list of girls names you've already thought about?

Saskia said...

For me, I would love to see your name list, but if I were you, I don't think I'd share it. Not that people wouldn't give fabulous feedback but because it is such a personal thing. I think I agree with Lisa that you must take the baby home and see what works, don't give a name straight away but let it sink in and let this new little person inspire you. I'm so excited and know that you'll come up with something great!!!
lots of hugs,
Saskia
p.s. for deciding if a middle name works did you try writing it out a couple of times and seeing how it looks?

Esplendor Havanese said...

"Nell? where did you ever get that idea? "

Ah ----'tis a game for all of us :) Let's see Caroline, Laura, Carrie, Nellie, Mary, Harriet, I am sure I am missing tons more!

I'm sure your baby will have a lovely name.

I will share one or two of the family Monikers with you:
1) George Clarence (what do you do with that?)
2) Nelly Ann Maude
3)Merle (woman)
As you can see there are a lot of really awful names out there that have thankfully not made come-backs!

And they go downhill from there, so see, your baby name will be fabulous.

Emily said...

im confused, does that me you think of me as the mean mother from the show?

Alisha Joy said...

I have stopped telling people my name ideas because they never like them and I don't want to hear about it. As soon as the baby is officially named you get nothing but compliments for your creativity. I was going to go with Zander, but then realized it was WAY too common so now I am back to the drawing board and I am keeping my ideas hush hush.

Since I am done reproducing I will tell you my favorite girl names. Do what you will with them.

Oakley (which I saw was one of your boy choices, but I like for a girl), Liliana, Carina, Alanna, Alora, Layla, Maya, Ireland, & Island

Emily said...

Oh I really liked the name Zander and think you should keep it!
Thanks for the good girl ideas too.
three of them were on my list though maybe spelled a little differently.
Funny about our names because I had River & Phoenix on my boy list (though not for use together for obvious reasons) and that was before I knew one was already taken....
(now both!)
I've also decided that though some names im steering away from because they seem soooo popular, Im not going to entirely rule out a name that I really truely like just because Ive heard it before.
Some names are just pretty and many people happen to agree at the same time.
Which makes me think,
why don't you hear the name LINDA on little kids anymore. Maybe I should resurrect that name?
Linda Lou would be cute!

Esplendor Havanese said...

NO NO NO! How funny you would think that! No, I was just thinking out loud of the girl names on the show!! Jeepers.
You are a great mom. I daresay you fall well outside the mean mom category!

luminainfinite said...

Please not Alora, that's awful.