Tuesday, September 26, 2006

On shoes

I went to the mall yesterday and since I obviously have no place looking at clothes, i switched my attention to shoes. Oh I do love shoes - like any red blooded woman.
But oh the woes of my poor feet. Did you know that growing up one of my biggest body insecurities was my feet? yeah. Living in California we would play in the sprinklers outside and when we walked barefoot from wet grass to dry pavement I would descretely walk on the sides of my feet so the prints i left looked like there was an arch. My flat feet left, what I felt, were remarkably unusual prints.
This it turned out would be the least of my foot concerns.
I spent years in arch supports and now far too long without them. I can never wear the pretty little things I wish for , and flimsy fashion sneaks flatten & spread out far too soon. Having flat feet is contraindicated for being a "real" dancer. It also makes balance/standing/walking anything tireing for very long. I have however pushed passed this in my life. Im a tough bitch sometimes. I've spent summers walking hundreds of miles. I was somewhat of a runner once. I cut many rugs with my duck feet flapping in the wind. But, come the end of the day, my poor ugly feet throb in agony and scream in pain.
Not that any of this matters. No big deal. Lots of people have flat dorky feet.
I am simply more aware of this condition now than ever before since the fluid of pregnancy seems to be collecting everywhere. Namely my feet.

you should have seen the wobbling i made in too tight stilletto heals this weekend.
Imagine a gelatineous watermelon on stilts....

1 comment:

Skye said...

That's so funny. One of my biggest insecurities as a kid was also my feet. They were unusually big, with curved toes splayed out wide from going barefoot all the time, and really high arches. High arches have basically the same problems as flat feet. Oh the lucky ones who have normal feet!