Thursday, July 07, 2011

Farewell mt first friend...

Three years ago, when Dakota was only one and a half, some new neighbors moved in right next door. They had two girls and one was almost exactly Dakota's age. I remember their first meeting. He was always a very strong willed, bold and happy baby but when this blond little firecracker ran up to him waving her hand high, smiling ear to ear and steam-rolling her nose into to his, I could see he met his match. Since then he has always had a dear (and feisty) relationship with the girl next door.
This last week was a monumental moment of sadness and growing up when he had to say his first big goodbye as she & her family were moving away. We tried to get some photos of them together a few days prior but he was upset from having just fallen and I only really got the shot above. (which is a little out of focus and shadowy), but still cute...
When she came knocking on the door the morning of her move (a day earlier than we expected) he came running into my room screaming with tears that she was going away. I insisted no not yet but when i reached the door I could see he was right. He wouldn't pose a for a goodbye picture. In fact, he wouldn't change out of his pjs or even say goodbye at all! He just kept crying and demanding to get a new friend. We spent the rest of that day at another good friend's house but back at home (especially playing in the backyard), it just isn't the same anymore...
We'll miss you girls....

No comments: