Saturday, March 28, 2009

I have 50 dollars saved up

and I want to buy a blessing gown for Lily
but it's kind of hard to find something right.
Most of them in the stores have crosses all over them
which I think is cheesy.
and surprisingly, they are outrageously expensive.
I was going to use the gown that I was blessed in, which would be so very sweet, but when I tried it on her it looked really weird because it is just one sheer piece of fabric so you just see diaper and socks - not to mention it's very cold. Even with a onesie underneath it looks odd so....
this is my special splurge (call it a birthday present for myself)
I am having trouble deciding though.
Maybe you can help?
Click the link on the pictures and tell me what you think in the Poll to the side.

A: This dress has a ver similar version at babies r us for $50. (different bonnet)


B: This one has a v neck and bow in front but I wonder if the lace is just too much









11 comments:

luminainfinite said...

#3 with the eyelet trim is perfect. xoxo

Skye said...

Hmmm. All good, so really hard to say. I almost went with the eyelet trim myself (love it), but went with the taffeta because if you really love the silk, you might appreciate a good fabric more than plain cotton, even if it does have cute trim. As a side note, I got Seville an antique european Christening dress that I loved at an antique shop. If you have one nearby, you might see what they've got.

Auntie Michelle said...

I liked the first and second the most. I voted the first cause I think it would compliment Lilly's adorable cheeks.
The second is totally cute and the lace doesn't put it over the top at this event at this age.
I would get you the last one for you, maybe a matching one in your size if I could afford it.
That would be priceless.

Auntie Michelle said...

I meant Lily!!! Whoe's Lilly, like whatever. It's late and I don't know how to spell.

Lily my sweetest, cutest, smartest, niece on the planet.

Saskia said...

I like the cotton eyelet one too! There's something wonderful about simple cotton.

Anonymous said...

I had too much to say just to vote, so: "A" I am drawn to because it's different than anything I've seen and I think it is very pretty. But I agree, "E" is the prettiest. However, I thought "D" looked a lot like "E," so you could find a pink sash and attach it to the dress (if you couldn't figure out how I am 100% (okay, 99% since I don't know what her schedule is like) sure Sis. Sugiyama could do it for you, she is an amazing seamstress. So, that's what I would do if I were you (I always seem to want to do the hardest thing). But honestly they are all absolutely beautiful dresses. She will look like a princess and an angel in any of them.

kaarina said...

D, C, then B in that order. I agree that you could add a pink sash to D and have it be so close to your favorite! but also i love the sweet simplicity of the cotton eyelet.

Saskia said...

I like what the suggestion of adding a sash to D. It would be very similar to your dress of dreams. But is it the sash and cut that you love or the fact that's it's a silk dress. I think that's what draws me to it (other than that it's a pretty dress), silk is just so classic and fancy. Dress A is nice but the puckering (is that what one would call it?) on the skirt reminds me of bridal wear.

One more thought, if you've got an able seamstress in the ward, would it be a possibility to get your old christening dress (at least the skirt part of it) lined with a thicker fabric so that it wouldn't show through?

Saskia said...

One follow-up, I went to Amazon and looked at the pretty cotton dress and in the reviews someone said that they found the fabric a bit on the thin side. Maybe something to keep in mind. I suppose with silk or polyester that wouldn't be so much of a problem.

All the ones you picked are tasteful though.

Here's the extreme of christening gowns

http://www.csnbaby.com/asp/show_detail.asp?sku=LML2501&refid=AC51-LML2501

for if one wants to later reuse the gown as possible upholstery.

Esplendor Havanese said...

I vote A, its very in fashion this year ::)

Unknown said...

I know a girl here in Utah that makes blessing dresses. She made my daughters blessing dress just how I wanted it and it would easily be in the $50 price range. You could show her exactly which design you wanted and then have her mail it to you. Her name is Robyn and her email is sweetangelclothing@gmail.com
Just a thought.