Monday, February 04, 2008

Always look on the bright side of life


Our trip to Utah had two faces.
On the one side was the obvious frowny grimace. The purpose to make a statement at my grandmother's murderer's trial. I hadn't really thought too hard on it, being so busy with the details of life, until it was time to walk in and do it. I was surprised by the intense spirit in that courtroom. I was also surprised by how overwhelmed with emotion I became. It was a heavy place and a rare aura of seriousness came over me. As I quietly sat down in my corner of the wooden bench, nuzzling into my cousin Phyllis' arms, I caught a glimps of him. Sharp nausea bite my insides and as I saw him turn his eyes to me I quickly hid behind some woman's head.
When it was my turn I stood and swore an oath of truth. There was an eery hush as I settled myself into the witness stand. I never saw him when I was up there. I didn't make an effort to either look his way or to avoid him. I was simply focused on the attorney in front of me and my grandmother, who I imagined standing near me. Looking back (though it makes no difference now as the sentencing is complete) I wished that maybe I had looked up into the faces of the jury. Just for curiosity. Instead I stayed safe in a small bubble of focus to get the job done.
There was however a moment from that experience that does cheer me up.
They asked me some questions, I read a short blurb, and toward the end of my statement I saw a nervous rustling in the corner of my eye. Then a man on the other side of the room shot up and blurted "I object". A few words were muttered each way and I was told to continue.
Wow, just like from Matlock. (no I dont really watch that show)

So, that was that. It is all over - for now anyway.

On the happy smiley side of the trip there are quite a few nice things.
1. They sent Keith a subpoena too so he could get out of work and come with me!
2. Tickets/hotel/lunch at ruby river each day was free! (tickets cost them $1500 bucks!)
3. I spent a day with one of my dearest friends Emily Potter Yahoooo
4. We also spent a day with Grandpa Neaman & June the lovely who shared with us so many wonderful stories - and He let us borrow his van....
5. We saw our cool cousin Traci and the terill kids who are all so cute and sweet and totally awesome
6. We stayed at Aunt Sandi's home for two nights which was such a fabulous treat! She had a crib (the hotel's was filthy and broken) and such a comfortable room for us.
7. We had a big family dinner at Aunt Kathy's home and a fun time catching up :)
8. We also had a fun family dinner at Aunt Sandi's home. Both were so delish!
9. We saw our old friend Brandon & Keith's old home
10. We had a short but really nice visit with my cousin Phyllis and breakfast at the airport together.
11. Dakota wasn't as horrifyingly miserable on the way back as he was on the way there.
12. It was sunny and pleasant
13. It was the first time that Utah looked beautiful to me - no, really really beautiful!
14. oh, and I rediscovered an old pair of diesel pants that I wore everyday there.
15. oh, oh, And I still swear that I saw Chuck Norris in the courtroom sitting in bench in front of me (though they insisted he was some reporter - I know what I saw...)

The few negatives that are big enough to mention are
1. President Gordon B Hinckely passed away
2. I found out from the tv in the lobby as I was checking in :(
3. Dakota was very sick on the way there and the first day.
4. We missed a lot of people we wanted to see because there wasn't enough time
5. Traveling with a baby/todd is just no fun.
6. I didn't take hardly any pictures!!!!

But look - There are more smilies than frownies!
That's the measure of a good life :)



4 comments:

Angela Haldeman said...

Emily,

I'm glad that you made it through that ordeal and that your smile is still intact! You are right, it is no fun travelling with a baby, especially a sick one, but it does get easier. Remind ME of that in a couple of weeks! :0)

No one should ever have to go through any of the things that you've had to endure with your Grandmother's tragic death. I hope that, now that the trial part is coming to a close, that you can manage to find some level of peace. You are so strong... I really admire your tenacity and eternally optimistic spirit.

I've always said, through some of my own life's trials, that oftentimes really bad situations are a better motivator for how to make our lives more fulfilling than really good situations. I have to think that God is fortifying you for something very special! I can't wait to see His plan unfold for you and your family.

We can't wait to see you all. Doug and I promise to take Dakota off your hands some of the time so that you can spend some quality time sleeping, relaxing, or with your hubby. The kids can't wait to see Dakota so he'll have plenty of entertainment!

Jason and Emily said...

I'm glad to hear the blurb about the trip. I didn't ever get to call you that night. This makes seeing you TWICE in six months... we're doing good!

Tamara said...

sounds like a good and important trip. so glad. truly.

luminainfinite said...

YOU ARE SO PRETTY EMILY!