Monday, October 22, 2007

Before our house exploded, there was Niagara

My mother-in-law, Deb came to visit a week before the sawdust began and a week before Keith's poor little vacation of manual labor.
So, we decided to go on a little road trip to Toronto to visit some cousins.
Leaving the country wasn't so bad but on the way back in we went through the wrong lane and had to be searched! we spent ages outside in a line with a bunch of foreigners before i marched up to the front, plopped a baby on the counter top and informed the officials that I was going to change a diaper right there and then if they didn't stop all this nonsense and let us through now! It worked well and off we went.




Canada, oh Canada!


While looking at the map it suddenly accured to me that the infamous Niagara Falls couldn't be too far. So I called my darling for a quick map quest directions and we agreed it would definitely be worth the hour and a half detour.
Here are all the cousins looking at old family photos and reminiscing.
While there Dakota's 3rd cousin came to visit! She's only a few months older so they had fun pushing each other over



This was baby's first trip out of the country!

What a beautiful day it was for us too!

Then we thought, heck, we've come this far- why not visit the town of "Niagara-on-the-Lake". I had never heard of it before but it was the most darling little town I've ever seen! (and I've seen a few)

We stopped for lunch and looked at quaint shops but the highlight was definitely all the candy stores. Mmmm, exotic Canadian candy.....

Pastries, cookies, fudge and caramel
irresistible!







4 comments:

Esplendor Havanese said...

I'll bet you had no idea you were in my 'stomping grounds". My aunts and uncles live just outside of Toronto, and I spent a large portion of my youth there in dance camps or under the famous falls, in a boat in the falls, etc. Spooky and scary when you are 7. Im so glad you got to get out and go, the weather looked GORGEOUS!I love the adventurous gypsy in you.BTW how long did it take to get there form your house?
lisa

Emily said...

Toronto is about 5 1/2 hours from my house. Thats my max road trip distance with a baby for sure.

Alisha Joy said...

fun, I've never been to Niagra falls . . . I really need to go . . . it would make a great blog!

Jason and Emily said...

happy happy joy joy!!! All the lights colors candy! wowwwwwwwww. I watched a documentary about niagra falls, does that count?