Are you a feminist?
What does it even mean to be "feminist"
And what about you makes you a feminist?
I've been thinking about this since the recent emails circulating between friends. I have yet to comment on the issue because i feel that my thoughts and opinions may differ from my contemporaries and so my always initial reation to agree and please is conflicted with my confused convictions (if that makes any sense)
And so i have briefly looked up a few definitions of the word feminism to see where my personal beliefs may stand in a purely objective and open way. This is a very interesting exploration of my self because I have been a very independent and adventerous young woman with a firey constitution. Yet I recognize that some of the greatest blessings in my life come from men. And oh do I love men (some at least).
It also seems to me that those who label themselves a "feminist" have an underlying grudge against some man or situation. Where as I feel more than justified to say i've been abused by men in one way or another, I do not feel victimized by anyone. In fact, i have been known to use my femininity as a seductive tool to maniputlate or fool. I am a strong and capable woman - Hear me roar etc.. etc....
I just think its too easy for women today to feel entitled to an outlook of selfishness. And dare I say this, forget our wifely duties! Feminism should not mean man-bullying. I believe that women are just as good as men - but not better. I believe I am stonger than many men - and just as weak to others. I believe God loves his little girls equally as much as his little boys. I believe I am capable of voting, driving, employment, and making good choices as much as any man. I also recognize our inherant differences that make us better at some things than others. Part personality, part genetic makeup, part culture and training, and yes - part sex. And then comes my belief in the sacred role of Motherhood; a gift / responsibility to be treated with the highest respect.
Below are copies of some definitions i found online.
I would appreciate comments on your thoughts............
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feminism
"The view, articulated in the 19th century, that women are inherently equal to men and deserve equal rights and opportunities. More recently, a social and political movement that took hold in the United States in the late 1960s, soon spreading globally. "
fem·i·nist (fm-nst)
n.
A person whose beliefs and behavior are based on feminism.
adj.
Relating to feminism.
[noun] a doctrine that advocates equal rights for women
[noun] the movement aimed at equal rights for womenSynonyms: feminist movement, women's liberation movement, women's lib
DEFINING FEMINISMThe following tripartite definition is from the soc.feminism FAQ file (http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/feminism/info.html):
1. The belief that women and men are, and have been, treated
differently by our society, and that women have frequently
and systematically been unable to participate fully in all
social arenas and institutions.
2. A desire to change that situation.
3. That this gives a "new" point-of-view on society, when
eliminating old assumptions about why things are the way
they are, and looking at it from the perspective that women
are not inferior and men are not "the norm."
Feminism Defined:
"What follows are different branches of feminism theory that are recognized by feminists and feminist scholars. These different theories of feminism are widely acknowledged and taught in women's studies courses, gender studies courses, and the like.
Like many, I also recognize that people have created their own definition of feminism to best suit them. The definitions here are theorectical, and are an example of the diversity among feminists. See where you fit in, or even if you do.
Feminism
Feminism is theory that men and women should be equal politically, economically and socially.
This is the core of all feminism theories. Sometimes this definition is also referred to as "core feminism" or "core feminist theory." Notice that this theory does not subscribe to differences between men and women or similarities between men and women, nor does it refer to excluding men or only furthering women's causes. Most other branches of feminism do.
Why you believe in feminism and what your ideas are to make feminism a reality is what causes arguments within the feminism movement.
You may find that you believe in the theory of feminism, but do not see yourself fitting into the branches of feminism below, that is common. You can believe that women and men should be politically, economically and socially equal for your own reasons and hold your own ideas pertaining how you can make that happen. If that is the case, then generally you can consider yourself a feminist.
Feminist
One who believes in the theory of feminism that is mentioned above.
Amazon Feminism
Amazon feminism is dedicated to the image of the female hero in Greek mythology, as it is expressed in art and literature, in the physiques and feats of female athletes, and in sexual values and practices.
Amazon feminism focuses on physical equality and is opposed to gender role stereotypes and discrimination against women based on assumptions that women are supposed to be, look, or behave as if they are passive, weak and physically helpless. Amazon feminism rejects the idea that certain characteristics or interests are inherently masculine (or feminine), and upholds and explores a vision of heroic womanhood.
An Amazon feminist, for example, would argue that some people are not cut out physically to be a fire fighter, serve in combat, or work in construction. Whereas some people are physically capable of doing such jobs. No mention of gender is made, as the jobs should be open to all people regardless of gender. Those men and women who are physically capable and want to, should pursue such jobs. Amazon feminists tend to view that all women are as physically capable as all men.
Cultural Feminism
The theory that there are fundamental personality differences between men and women, and that women's differences are special and should be celebrated. This theory of feminism supports the notion that there are biological differences between men and women. For example, "women are kinder and more gentle then men," leading to the mentality that if women ruled the world there would be no wars. Cultural feminism is the theory that wants to overcome sexism by celebrating women's special qualities, women's ways, and women's experiences, often believing that the "woman's way" is the better way.
Ecofeminism
Ecofeminism is a theory that rests on the basic principal that patriarchial philosophies are harmful to women, children, and other living things. Parallels are drawn between society's treatment of the environment, animals, or resources and its treatment of women. In resisting patriarchial culture, eco-feminists believe they are also resisting plundering and destroying of the Earth. They feel that the patriarchial philosophy emphasizes the need to dominate and control unruly females and the unruly wilderness.
Ecofeminism states that the patriarchial society is relatively new, something developed over the last 5,000 years or so and that the matriarchial society was the first society. In the matriarchial society, women were the center of society and people worshipped Goddesses. This is known as the Feminist Eden.
Feminazi
This term was made popular by the radio/tv host Rush Limbaugh. A feminazi is defined by anti-feminists as a feminist who is trying to produce as many abortions as possible. Hence the term "nazi." Limbuah sees feminists as trying to rid the world of a particular group of people (fetuses).
Individualist, or Libertarian Feminism
Individualist feminism is based upon individualism or libertarian (minimum government or anarchocapitalist) philosophies. The primary focus is individual autonomy, rights, liberty, independence and diversity. Individualist Feminism tends to widely encompass men and focuses on barriers that men and women face due to their gender.
Material Feminism
A movement in the late 19th century to liberate women by improving their material condition. This movement revolved around taking the "burden" off women in regards to housework, cooking, and other traditional female domestic jobs. The Grand Domestic Revolution by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is a reference.
Moderate Feminism
This branch of feminism tends to be populated mostly by younger women or women who have not directly experienced discrimination. They tend to question the need for further effort, and think that feminism is no longer viable. They often view feminism as embarrassing (it's thought that this is the group most likely to espouse feminist ideas and thoughts while denying being "feminist").
N.O.W. Feminism (also referred to as Gender Feminism)
My own term for the type of feminism the National Organization for Women represents. This theory is based on the notion that in order for men and women to be equal (as the core of 'feminism' states), women must be granted some special privilages, and men should not be an issue in feminism.
This could be exemplified by N.O.W. publicly supporting women who wish to enter traditional all-male scools. While N.O.W. will take strong and loud stands to support that, they are silent regarding men being able to enter traditional all-female schools. Another example could be how N.O.W. is quick to support women as public icons who are victims of sexual harassment, yet offer no public support for men as pulbic icons who are victims of sexual harassment. In both instances, N.O.W. feminism encompases only women and fights to offer special privilages to women with the intent of making women equal to men.
Pop-Feminism
Pop-feminism is often mistaken by people to be feminism in general... the negative stereotypical man hating ideology. There is no proof that such feminists exist, I have yet to meet a feminist who hates men and indeed, many men are feminists. But, if such a category of feminists exist, they should be referred to as 'pop-feminists.' This would be the type of feminism that degrades men in all manners and glorifies women.
Radical Feminism
Radical feminism is the breeding ground for many of the ideas arising from feminism. Radical feminism was the cutting edge of feminist theory from approximately 1967-1975. It is no longer as universally accepted as it was then, and no longer serves to solely define the term, "feminism."
This group views the oppression of women as the most fundamental form of opression, one that cuts across boundaries of race, culture, and economic class. This is a movement intent on social change, change of rather revolutionary proportions.
Radical feminism questions why women must adopt certain roles based on their biology, just as it questions why men adopt certain other roles based on theirs. Radical feminism attempts to draw lines between biologically-determined behavior and culturally-determined behavior in order to free both men and women as much as possible from their previous narrow gender roles.
Separatists
Separatists are often depicted as lesbians. These are the feminists who advocate separation from men; sometimes total, sometimes partial. Women who organize women-only events are often dubbed separatist.
The core idea is that "separating" (by various means) from men enables women to see themselves in a different context. Many feminists, whether or not separatist, think this is a necessary "first step," for personal growth. However, they do not necessarily endorse permanent seperation.
It is inaccurate to consider all lesbians as separatist. While it is true that they do not interact with men for sexual fulfillment, it is not true that they automatically shun all interaction with men. "
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
As most of your definitions state, feminists do not believe in superiority of either men or women. Instead, it is the argument that there has not been/is not equality and that there should be. Equality does not need to mean that women *should be drafted to fight in combat, or that feminists have grudges against men.
I love men, I love being a wife, and I'm very excited to be mother - and do not feel any "grudge," yet I consider myself a feminist. I recognize that there has existed, and does exist indignities and inequalities. One need only look and the still large discrepencies between the average male income, and the average femail income. Also the disporportionate representation of women in any political arena (unless, of course, you are open-minded enough to count the citizen action, non-profit sector as part of politics). Personally, I find the largest inequality still in full force between men and women is within the medical industry. Not only in medical history (there just hasn't been studies on female bodies for *most* of what medical science knows), but even insurance companies won't cover most health concerns that have anything to do with being a woman.
I'm not stating this in grudging bitterness, I'm stating is as black and white fact. If it weren't for femisim as a movement, there would still be no progress toward discovering causes and cures for breast cancer, and now heart disease among women.
Access to equal rights is VERY important... not just between men and women, but between races, social classes, and ages. I recently read a GREAT book that covers the underlying cause of it all. Check out "Somebodies and Nobodies" by Robert Fuller and http://www.breakingranks.net
Thanks for eliciting this rant. :0)
Thank you Yellow, very good points. I am forever grateful to the brave ones who fought for women's rights as equal members in society. I would like to suggest that it is only natural to see differing ratios of male/female in many areas of society. If it were not so then who would stay home to take care of the babys? Not that I dont think it is perfectly good to choose not to have kids if you dont want any and to persue a career instead. I just dont think many can do both well- and theres nothing wrong with natural. Besides I foresee a female presidential race coming soon!
My main cancern personally is with the ramant squishing of the poor male ego. I think they need a lot more tenderness then they let on...
It's interesting as children of those who went through the sexual revolution, there have been some interesting side effects... for instance:
-In a rush to get away from the June Cleaver stereotypical trap of the 50's... many women didn't teach their daughters a lot of basic household type skills. In LDS circles, where guys are sent to fend for themselves on a mission, they learn a lot of these, sink or swim. When I lived in the apartments at the Y, most of the guys I knew could cook, sew enough to fix clothes, and launder their clothes. It was scary how many girls couldn't. Sure, most knew how to wash their clothes... but I didn't know any women in my BYU ward that really could cook. When I think of people my age, and do a mental ranking of who the best chefs are, I have to think for a while before one of them is female. An interesting flip-flop, I think. Fortunately my wife and I are pretty much equal when it comes to culinary skills.
Nice meaty post, Emily. I have enjoyed hearing the different opinions on the subject from your post and from all the others who have been e-mailing about this.
Now, I've always strived to be strong and independent, but I've never compared myself to the opposite sex. I do not consider myself a feminist. I believe that everyone, regardless of gender, is different... they have different capabilities, have different incomes, different talents, interests, physicalities, etc. Gender is now (i.e., post 1960) just a convenient way to split the differences, especially now that much of our efforts at racial equality have less fuel. I believe everyone to be EQUAL, but different. And what's so wrong with that? I embrace my differences! If I had the same disposition as James, or of you, Em, or of anybody else, it would be boring, and our weaknesses would drag us down. We need differences in the world. By implying that "different" is "unequal," as I believe many past and present feminists (whether intentional or not) claim, it is implying that MEN are the better sex. Especially when feminism was at its peak, men were established as the standard, the goal. Feminists then created the opposite of the desired effect, and "inequalities" or "differences" became more pronounced. I'm all for equal wages for equal work, but I also recognize that we each do work differently, and it's not always about gender. Gender is simply an easy target.
This is great, I love your comments. I think the reasons i choose not to take on the title of feminist is because of the micro negative conotations assosiated with it. I suppose some would call be a feminist of sorts since i agree with part of many notions. Its the hard core attitudes i will stay away from. I'd rather think of myself as a personist. Im trying to be a stong self disiplining person shining with personal qualities in an interdependant relationship with another person.
Ah, but are there not micro negative connatation attached to the labels "woman" or "mormon" or "oregonian." All labels elicit stereotypes. Which is exactly one of the reasons I DO choose to identify myself as a feminist. Many people seem very narrow-minded about what modern feminism really is.
Equality need not ignore differences! Giving stay-at-home motherhood equal respect to working in the labor force is something all my "feminist" friends totally agree with. At the same time, what is wrong with having stay-at-home fathers? I know several people who grew up in this situation and found it excellent.
All be said, I'd like to call myself a dignitarian (one who fights for and believes in equal dignity for all) and feminist simply fits in as a subcatagory.
yes, but I dont mind the connatations associated with the others stated. I do mind being connotated with the image of a woman that can bitch and wine to her husband seaclessly tearing him down and critisizing him then point and call him unjust when he puts in my place or call him an insensitive brut when he ignors my rantings of why he is bad. The catalist to bringing this thought up to myself is the new found respect that I have for manhood brought to light more so every day by my amazing Husband. Keith I love you and feel honored to serve you :)
Amen, Emily.
I just made a nice big meal for my husband, not because I'm "supposed" to, but because I want to... and that doesn't make me June Cleaver with no other thoughts than "cook, clean, have babies..." I'm PROUD that I can cook. I'm also proud that I know intermediate calculus. Those two things have nothing to do with being a woman, but why would some people view calculus in a higher light? I don't use it every day! What this boils down to, I think, is who is traditionally thought of as the "homemaker," and the responsibilities involved in that, and how they are traditionally viewed as less important or sub-par. But if James and I had to choose which one of us was going to stay home with the kids, and which one was going to have a full-time paying job, I'd choose home--because I'm my own boss, I don't have to wear heels, and no one's going to know if I took a 15 minute break at 10:00 or 10:30. I don't mind following trends.
A lot of men don't want to be "stay-at-home dads" because of the social connotations associated with it... and so be it. It is their choice. If we want to gradually change those stereotypes, then we can... but change is slow, and until then, why rush it? If you want to do something, but society says it would be strange, then it is your choice whether or not to mind that. Maybe, deep down inside, I'm a scrapbooker... but I don't want to be labled a "molly mormon," so I don't do it. So what? It's my choice. I think most men don't want to feel "less than a man," so to speak, so they choose to go out into the workplace... and so be it. It's a choice. That's just the way it is. I think people forget that society is what it is because of the choices WE make... you might be angry with who is in office, but did you help campaign for your choice? And you might be angry with outsourcing to foreign countries, but do you buy domestic products?
Most homemakers are women because of a choice.
I all comes down to choices... whether or not we choose to call ourselves "feminist" or not, or "mormon," or goth, or athlete, or workaholic, or athiest, or realist... but labels aren't who we really are inside. We all have choices to make every second of our lives, and at that second, we choose who we are. To me, labels don't mean much.
Thank you, Emily, for making me think!
Change *does not* happen without those there making us aware that change *should* happen and then working for it.
I love to cook, sew, clean, etc. But I DO NOT relate to the stereotypical emotion-based thinking, make-up-masking, loves to shop and thinks my husband should earn the money for it that people relate to women. What do people say when you ask them if they would vote for a woman for president? I often hear "I don't know if she could handle it. I don't want a women with PMS trying to deal with foreign relations. They would be too soft hearted when it comes to national security" etc.
I never did mind the Molly Mormon label when it was given to me. The connotation that plauged me was judgementalism. You're Mormon? Oh, you're judging me for all my actions. I had people quit talking to me, or totally change the way they treat me once they found out I was Mormon and passed judgement.
Indignities are out there in many forms, and yes, I feel we should "rush it" when it comes to trying to teach people to get past stereotypes and treat people equally, based on individual merits, not on labels.
Anybody can cook and clean. and in my homes everyone did it. That is a non issue to me & never what i meant by wifely duties.
I personally thank God for the magic of make-up and wish more people would use it. I dont appreciate looking at frumpy slobs out running errands in their pjs.
I myself happen to love to shop and believe it IS the mans duty to bring in the money. They are divinely designed to protect and support their fairer sex. Thats not to say one should abuse them over this. but come on people - lets get real.
What happened to the REAL MEN out there. I think that some certain attitutes are killing their spirits making them so unsure of themselves that no matter what stance they take they can never do right. I find when i treat my man like a king he acts like a knight in shining armour.
Thats hot...
I recently posted about radical libertarian feminism on my blog. Here's the link: http://oregonstate.edu/~stolleer/blog/index.php/2005/12/29/radical-libertarian-feminism/.
The link takes you to my recent posting on how radical libertarian feminism is not actually feminism. RLF's believe that pornography and prostitution are good for women while I contend that they contribute to the oppression of women by providing patriarchy with additional forms of violence, objectification, and subordination.
Post a Comment